Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Wiki Woes

My Wiki Woes continue this week... (see my last post)

I've now done testdrives of Wetpaint, SocialText, PBWiki, StikiPad and Wikia; and did WikiMatrix comparisons of a dozen more.

Although Wetpaint wasn't the right one for me, I received a very nice email in response to my blogpost from Wetpaint founder Ben Elowitz explaining why they don't allow private Wikis at this stage. Just because Ben contacted me directly I decided to stick with Wetpaint for 2 community Wikis I'm creating.

I finally settled on using StikiPad for doing our internal project documentation. StikiPad is 'crisp' and functional. The design is also attractive and Oh-So Web 2.0.

However, there's one thing that StikiPad founders Matthew DeWaal and Jonathan George really need to learn quickly if they are to succeed in a Web 2.0 world, (or any world for that matter) and that is how to properly engage your customers...

Today when trying to access my new StikiPad Wiki, I repeatedly got an error stating '500 - Internal Server Error'.

No problem, I thought, I'd go check out their forums and see if anyone's posted about it. There was no related post, so I decided I would post about it. However, the StikiPad founders decided for some bizarre reason that people would first need to be 'approved' before posting to their forums. I applied for approval and am still waiting 7 hours later!

I then thought I'd post a quick comment on the StikiPad blog. When I read the blog earlier, I was surprized to see that none of the posts had any comments. Mostly, if a blog is in the least bit popular, you'd see dozens of comments. (To see what I mean, have a look at Signal vs. Noise) Once again, my effort was thwarted by draconian comment moderations!

When trying to post a comment I was told: "We get some pretty crappy spam, so if you haven't left a comment here before you may need to be approved before your comment will appear. Thanks for waiting though!"

Guess what? All bloggers get spam from time to time but we manage it without turning our backs on our customers.

Get your act together StikiPad, because at this stage I'm still wondering if I should 'approve' your service.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Henk,

Glad to hear that you're using Wetpaint for your community wikis. Be sure to let us know about them. And keep the feedback coming...it's how we get better.

Best,

--Ben

HASH said...

A very timely post. I was just looking into setting up a wiki as well and did the whole WikiMatrix thing. I too narrowed it down to those you have listed. I really like StikiPad too.

So, my question is, can you set it up to be on a private domain?