Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Next Big Thing is not Web 2.0

Check out this article on Vinny Lingham, one of Skyrove's shareholders.

I think GQ misquoted him on Incredible Connection though. What Vinny meant to say was that traditional software, distributed on CD or DVD media, was a thing of the past and that the future was online Web 2.0 applications.

Personally, I think the future is a bit different.

Currently, I can use OpenOffice to edit my offline files. For online collaboration on documents, I use Google Docs & Spreadsheets.

What I really want to be able to do is combine offline and online work seamlessly. Internet connectivity is not ubiquitous yet, and I need access to my files and appointments when I'm on the go, but also want the collaborative power when I am.

The next revolution is not that everything will go online or Web 2.0, but rather that there would be seamless synchronization between online and offline applications.

3 comments:

Ernst Kuschke said...

Hi Henk,

Check out MS Office Groove ;o)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/groove/FX100487641033.aspx

Anonymous said...

Hey Henk

I've been playing with Google Gears - very impressive for Google Reader, so far...it's not too far off! Web Apps are the future!

Vinny

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, check out Google Gears.

Also, Gmail now let's you work Offline, I haven't tried it out yet... but it's there.

har har, the Captcha on this postis nymif...