Sunday, July 01, 2007

Calendar Revolution Arrived

One of the greatest difficulties I had moving from Windows to Ubuntu last year was replacing Outlook. This was greatly eased by using Google Apps, where I had my email and calendar online. But whenever I was on the move and offline, I wouldn't have access to my calendar.

So I installed Mozilla Sunbird, a calendar application that can also integrate with the Thunderbird mail client. This meant that I could see all my calendar events locally, by syncing to my Google Calendar. The problem was that this sync was one-way only. Any changes made on my local calendar would not get uploaded to my Google Calendar.

Add in a PDA that needs to sync as well, and you have a right mess!

No more! Sunbird 0.5 was released a few days ago and with it comes 2-way sync with Google Calendar. You can run Sunbird on Windows, Linux and OS X. Change your calendar data on any one of your devices and see how it all syncs up!

No comments: