Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Gmail has a Daily Quota

I discovered to shock & horror that Gmail wouldn't send any more mails today! Apparently I exceeded my 'daily sending quota'.

Background: This morning I sent out an email to all 270 Skyrove Hotspot Providers. I had all the email addresses in a CSV file and used a Macro to put them onto one line, in the format "x@x.com", "y@y.com","z@z.com" etc.

It seems Gmail couldn't handle the fact that there were inverted commas around the email addresses, so I received 270 'Mail Delivery Subsystem' replies... I removed all inverted commas so the emails now read: x@x.com, y@y.com, z@z.com and sent the email.

Everything went through fine. Then, as I was trying to reply to an email in my inbox, it simply wouldn't send. No message either. So I tried composing a new message. This time it said "You have reached a limit for sending mail"

Clicking on Learn More tells me that "Gmail has a number of sending limits in place to prevent abuse of our system, and to help fight spam. Common causes include: 1. Sending a message to more than 500 recipients... 2. Sending a large number of undeliverable messages. We suggest verifying your contacts' email addresses."

Considering it was a parse error on Gmail's part (I'm sure some programmers will cause it a parse 'feature') I'm pretty riled up about it right now.

Furthermore, we've moved over to 'Gmail for your domain' so there's no other way I can send emails from my Skyrove account...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sending a large number to the same person is just as bad. My husband tried to send me copies of business mail he had received so I would be able to deal with them at my own desk. Thanks to Gmail, I worked at his desk and he at mine.
I did get them bit by bit, but funnily enough gmail sent me 4 copies of every one he sent, they arrived on my computer, but don't show up online at all.. very strange!