Saturday, September 30, 2006

Ready, Steady, Present!

Just saw a post by 'Marketing Geek' Dave Duarte that goes like this:

For everyone who is speaking at upcoming BarCamps, Geek Dinners, Toastmasters and more… An observation from Woodrow Wilson:

“If I am to speak ten minutes, I need a week for preparation; of fifteen minutes,three days; if half an hour, two days; if an hour, I am ready now“

A well prepared presentation shows respect for your audience and their time. It also helps calm your nerves.


Thanks for pointing this out Dave, but I don't agree about the preparation helping one bit to calm my nerves...

We have 10 minutes in which we will try to convince investors to give us R10 million. That's a million a minute! I've been preparing for weeks now, if not all my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay... perhaps the rules shift slightly when R10mil is on the line... In that case, there's a public speaking cliche which is helpful:
"The trick is not to get rid of the butterflies in your stomach... Just get them to fly in formation!".

Best wishes for the presentation and congrats in advance!