Saturday, March 03, 2007

Are You a Geek?


Last week saw the Cape Town launch of 27Dinner which managed to set off a bit of a geeks vs. marketers war on the SA blogosphere.

Some of it is related to a misunderstanding of the meaning of words such as 'geek', swearwords such as 'marketer' and funky new words such as 'jeek'.

Let's have a look at some of these words.

First off, 'jeek' is the stupidest word of 2010. Remove 2.7182, throw in an 'r' and you get 'jerk'. Furthermore, the definition that's been touted on some blogs for 'jeek' is just plain wrong. A 'jeek' is NOT "someone who succeeds at the nexus of media, technology and business"

In fact, 'jeek' is a cross between 'jock' and 'geek'. According to the Urban Dictionary: "Might be socially inept, but usually muscular and takes various sports. Often has some close friends and gets good grades. Spends life on computer when not working out or playing sports."

So that's sorted... Now, let's move on to 'geek'.

A geek is NOT a computer nerd... A geek is not someone who wears inch-thick glasses and makes toilet bombs with Sodium Iodide and Hydrogen Peroxide. (okay, sometimes we do)

A geek is someone who is curious, information hungry and on a constant quest for more knowledge. According to Wikipedia, a "geek is an individual who is fascinated by knowledge and imagination"

Geeks use information, logic and their imagination to make decisions or come up with new ideas. You get different kinds of geeks. Of course you have computer geeks but you also have botany geeks, philosophy geeks, music geeks, design geeks and (gasp!) marketing geeks!

So why the popular association of 'geek' with 'computer nerd'? Because almost all geeks use computers. Why? Because a computer is the greatest information tool around and all geeks are information addicts. Many geeks will become extremely adept at using this tool and take some extra time learning how to get the most out of it.

So why the perceived threat from marketers? This is because many marketers up till now have not bothered with the information, but rather relied on soft-skills. Some marketers are catching up and are spending a bit more time in front of their computers, slowly evolving (being upgraded?) into geeks.

Marketers need to KNOW what is going on and they have to be constantly increasing their knowledge base. Another definition of a 'geek' offered by Wikipedia (as the one most common among geeks themselves) is "one who is primarily motivated by passion". The stereotypical marketer is seldom motivated by passion, and therefore is seldom 'geek'. However, lately this is starting to change. Seth Godin is someone who is clearly motivated by passion and so are quite a few marketers I've met lately.

So why am I bothering with this post?

Because I strongly believe we should keep the 27 Geek Dinner concept going, rather than pitting 'geeks' vs. 'marketers' or bringing silly terms such as 'jeek'. Mike and Dave are two deep geeks, and they've done a lot to bring together geeks of different disciplines: programming, media, marketing, podcasting, mobile technologists and you name it.

The computer geeks build the products, but need to understand the marketing better. Vice versa, the marketing geeks need to get a thorough understanding of the product and the market.

Marketing geeks should not just be involved in selling products dreamt up by programming geeks, but should be more involved in the design process from day 1.

All these people are geeks, but they do different things and can learn a lot from each other. Bringing them together will lead to better products reaching more people! A win-win situation.

Digg It

7 comments:

henkk said...

Kudos to Mike Scott for the cartoon!

Tertia said...

Brilliant. Very well written, and I support your sentiments 100%.

Although not sure I agree with this line:

The stereotypical marketer is seldom motivated by passion, and therefore is seldom 'geek'.

I think you'll find that marketers are in fact motivated by passion, but their passion is sometimes for a different thing. Sometimes for their product, sometimes for their customers, and yes ... often by money. But they do have passion.

I think what we need to do is get to a point where the passions of the two groups are confluent, and not conflicting. And I do believe it is possible.

Ok, so here is question for you. And for the rest of the people involved in this discussion:

Where do I fit in? In which group do you put mommy bloggers like myself?

I am passionate! About many things. Does this make me a geek? Or a marketer? Or neither? And if so, where do I fit and am I welcome by either of the groups?

I work for an IT company, but I know nothing about programming.
I have a blog, but I don’t make money out of it
I do not have my own business, but I have a published book.
I am interested in connecting with the geeks, and with the marketers

What would you call a normal, day to day blogger like myself and where do we fit in? Do we fit in at all?

(by the way, I totally do not care if either group don’t want me. I am coming to the damn dinners. I love bonding with all the different types of nerds out there! Hahaha! Only joking about the nerd thing. Well, besides Henk.)

Anonymous said...

What an amusing discussion. As a long-time self-proclaimed geek of course I am interested. :-) I had not been exposed to JEEK before - thanks for that. You did miss out on my absolutely favorite definition of geek quoted in wikipedia from merriam webster dictionary: "1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake."

Cheers,

Tobias

Mike Stopforth said...

what a great post, and some relevant points Henk. thanks for the kind words - it is altogether an interesting space to play in right now!

henkk said...

Tertia,

Having published a book puts you squarely, 100%, face first in the geek bracket!

Anonymous said...

I think that anyone that managed to sit through Prof Greene's EEE104W class and 1st year ComSci definitely qualifies as a geek!

henkk said...

Hey Mark, ltns!

Never mind Prof Greene's course on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic...