Thursday, May 31, 2007

Idiot of the Week

I started doing a regular post called 'Mate of the Week' a while back. I never thought I'd spend (waste) time doing an 'Idiot of the Week' column, and hopefully this won't become a regular feature.

But sometimes people are so moronic you've got to give them credit. This week's Darwin Award winning idea comes from a bunch calling themselves the 'Free Bandwidth Campaign'.

Being unhappy with South Africans being charged for local bandwidth, they decided to do something about it: USE MORE BANDWIDTH!

Sheesh, I wish SA schools and universities would spend a little bit more time on teaching the principles of logic.

Anyways, they propose to do this by getting people from around the world to install a little virus that will download random content at a steady rate from South African hosted websites, so as to put an immense amount of strain on Telkom's network.

I suppose this idea for slowing down the South African internet to a crawl wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that the people footing the bill won't be Telkom, but rather any South African who hosts a website locally, and is already paying exorbitant fees for every megabyte uploaded. (typically 10c a MB)

To the kids behind this: Wake up, smell the roses, and start using your programming skills to do something good. This is the worst idea the three of you have ever had and is hopefully the worst idea you will ever have. Congratulations on receiving the inaugural Yeah!Fi "Idiot of the Week" award.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Anonymous said...

Well if you had carefully read through the intentions of the free bandwidth campaign, you would know that the app would run for about five minutes and probably only download a maximum of 4MB depending on the speed of the users connection.

And you know what, if it costs me some money to prove that Telkom are a bunch of liars ( as if there is any doubt) then its money well spent.

henkk said...

Dear "anonymous",

I did read that, my concern is not just for the users, but for people running websites in South Africa, who will be hit by 1000s of users each downloading a 'few' megabytes.

But seriously, how in heaven's name do you think that this will prove that Telkom are a bunch of liars? Please explain that giant leap of logic to me.

Anonymous said...

I must agree Henkk, as a local site hosting here in SA I think this is a baaaadddddd idea. I don't need to pay to prove Telkom sucks, they do. I know they do, you know they do, everyone knows they do.

I don't wanna pay anyone, anywhere to find out what I know already.

I do applaud the ppl behind the idea for trying to find a solution to a problem rather than just badmouthing aimlessly.