Sunday, May 20, 2007

Yeah!Fi Mate of the Week - Mobile Tracking

This week I had iTrackLive installed in my new motorbike. (My last bike was stolen 6 weeks ago).

Cape Town based iTrackLive provides a small portable, rechargeable, GPS tracking device that you can install in your car or simply drop in your child's backpack and then track using your cellphone or iTrackLive's brilliant web interface.


iTrackLive being installed. This is still the 'large' prototype version.


iTrackLive founders Tristan Phillips, Jean-Claude Malengret and Richard Parry


This is my trip back from the video store. (Click to enlarge) If I mouse-over any one of the arrows, it shows me the speed I was going. The maps are useful for visualizing the info, but iTrackLive also has a very decent reporting tool for fleet management and asset tracking.

iTrackLive is only just starting to provide their service publicly. What's unique about iTrackLive is that it's not yet another satellite tracking & recovery service, but rather that you can track your assets yourself (and see how fast your 18-year old is going when your lend him your car).

Because they use GPS, they are also not limited to providing their service in South Africa, but anywhere where there are cellphone networks available.

At R2400, you'd struggle to find a cheaper solution for tracking your car or your kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is friggin awesome! I'm definately getting one for my bike, even if it is just to track where I'm going and how much I drive certain sections.

btw Henk, when are you moving over to Wordpress as a platform?

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff man! Need for me bike too, yummy!